NCP's and SS Survivor Benefits


Dear argent:

Greetings. Controling money from beyond the grave? No, there is no tool that I know of to assist you in managing any social security survivor benefits. Sorry, but the federal goverment usually manages their programs without any state intervention! Thanks

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hello Janet,

Many thanks for your wonderful work on this forum.

Question: I am an NCP father with minor children.

Is there any action I can take to make sure that if I die and my children become eligible for Social Security Survivor Benefits, that benefits in excess of my child support obligation are held in trust for my children, and not simply turned over to the custodial parent to be managed without accountability?