Need help with child safety issue!

My only suggestion is that you speak with your children about this sitatuion. Make sure that they know what to do in an emergency and that they always have a way and knowledge of how to get in touch with you. I know that this is not much but if you can not stop this from happening, the very least you can do is to help make sure they are protected. Drill into them that there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon and that they are legally not allowed to touch those weapons. Let them know that you are worried about this. I understand that you and your father may not be on good terms but if there is nothing wrong with them visiting other than other supervision…make sure they know what to do. Make sure that you tell your ex all this also…document everything, record what you tell them. Do what you can to make them safe and then let the visit take place and see if they have questions afterwards…

Do you believe that your parents would knowing put your children in a harmful situation?

If you truly believe the situation is dangerous you can try to seek an emergency order to ask that the children not be permitted to spend time there.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex-wife has recently decided to allow our children, ages 7 and 10, to spend a few days with my father. He and I had a falling out, and she seized upon this opportunity as a way to get back at me for divorcing her. That said, there are some serious safety issues involving the kids staying there. My father and stepmother have serious medical conditions that I feel endanger the safety of the children, absent the presence of myself or my ex-wife during the duration of any visit. My father has a near fatal condition that causes him to have seizures on a frequent basis. Additionally, he has had quadruple bypass surgery in the last year, as well as strokes within the last two to three weeks. He has been told by his doctors to avoid the summer heat, and cannot safely drive a car. My stepmother suffered a brain aneurysm in the last couple of years, and suffers from headaches to the point that she can’t get out of bed on many days. My father collectes firearms, and keeps some of them loaded in the house. I have expressed these concerns to my ex, and told her that I do not want the children to stay with them, unless she or I are present during the visit. She refuses to heed my concern, and will not even talk to me about the matter. Is there anything I can do to stop this visit? Again, if she agrees to go with them…the visit is okay. Please respond ASAP…my childrens’ safety is at stake!