Next step in EQ Distribution

  1. Yes, Equitable Distribution can be finalized prior to the divorce.

  2. You will need to contact the clerk of the family court office in your county and ask them about the procedure for filing a Notice of Hearing and Calendar Request.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have a couple of questions re: filing for EQ.

  1. Can EQ Distribution be finalized and done before Absolute Divorce is filed and granted?

  2. I have filed a complaint for EQ last Jan/Feb, and recieved a reply from the ex. The clerk at the court said to get this on the calendar, I need to file a motion now. Where can I get a copy of this form or what does one look like. Would it contain everything that the complaint did or just a simple 1 page motion sheet letting the court know that I am filing for EQ, spousal support (this was on the original complaint)?