Next Steps After Parties Agreed


My spouse and I are living separately, agreed on child support and ED. We typed up our agreement and have it notarized. My question is, are we eligible for an absolute divorce if we agreed on custody, support, and me assuming the mortgage loan (ED)?

If so, how can I get started with the motion. I know I can file a “All Motions Complaint”. But is it still necessary if we agreed on everything?

Thank you in advance.

If you have agreed on all issues (custody, child support, alimony, and equitable distribution/property) and it’s been reduced to a contract/separation agreement and signed and notarized by both spouses, then nothing needs to be filed with the court in regards to the settlement and you can move forward with the absolute divorce process if you’ve been separated for at least one year.

You must file a complaint for absolute divorce to start the absolute divorce process.

Check out our Do It Yourself Divorce Guide - North Carolina for step-by-step instructions for filing and obtaining an absolute divorce, the forms you’ll need, how to fill them out, etc.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.