Nullifying a Seperation Agreement

Hello! What is the likelihood of nullifying a seperation agreement in Orange County? What are the grounds for doing so, if it is possible? Thank you!

A separation agreement can only be rescinded according to the terms in the agreement (oftentimes separation agreements have a rescission paragraph). Unless by consent, you would have to file a court action to have the separation agreement rescinded. Rescission is more likely to occur when there has been a material breach of contract by one of the parties.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.