Out Of Country Divorce


You can file for divorce in the county where she currently lives and if you hire an attorney to handle it on your behalf you would not have to appear in person to go through with the divorce. If she cannot be located she can be served via publication. If you are interested in talking to someone in our firm about this you can contact Shawn McMullen in our office at extension 100.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


Heya everyone… looking for some advice

Recently I applied for a B2 Visa to come to the USA to be able to start the proceedings to divorce my wife. We have been separated over a year now and I have been back here in the UK where I live for that period of time. I got denied the visa but have been told I can still get a 90 visa waiver. Anyway… to the point

Both her and I have already sorted out our assets, we have no property together and no children. She is currently living with her new man somewhere in Asheboro, NC. The only thing we require is the absolute divorce. Now I have looked into it and according to NC law apprantly you have to be in the county 6 months to be able to file. Unfortunatly I have lost contact with her recently and I have found someone else myself. However I dont want to take it futher with my new friend until I have the absolute divorce.

Do you know of anyway that I can start the procedures myself so that I can get my divorce. I would be more than willing to hire your firm to handle my case so I would not have to travel to the USA should complications arise. If not, is there anything else I can do?

I got married at Elizabeth City Courthouse btw, Pasquotank County