I am terribly sorry you are in this situation. You have rights to this child even though it is not biologically yours. It might be best to meet with an attorney and discuss your specific rights, many things can be impacted by the age of the child and your level of involvement.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I recently found out that a child I thought was mine was fathered by another man. The baby’s mother and I are still married and I want to continue to be this child’s father. Is there any way that the baby’s biological father can force a paternity test for the baby? What if my wife consents to a paternity test to help the biological father prove that he is the father? I know that he is the baby’s father, the baby looks like him.

Would it be best for the biological father to be part of this child’s life? I am told that I am just being selfish, but right now I am confused. Should I get a paternity test to prove that I’m not the father? My wife and I are still debating whether we will stay married or not. If we get a divorce could she have my parental rights recinded after the divorce?