Payments made to individual mortgage/individual property with joint funds

Hi,

My STBE has added a line to our settlement agreement for me to pay her back 1/2 of mortgage payments that we made for property that was only listed in my name. I owed the property prior to our marriage and my name was the only name listed on the mortgage or deed for the entire time it was in our possession (only the first three years of our 8-1/2 year marriage). The property was given to the bank from the result of a “Deed In Lieu” proceeding in 2010. I don’t think anything regarding this property should be considered at all.

If this was going through court, would this be something that might be included?

Thanks,
Jeff

If you acquired the property prior to the date of marriage but marital funds were used to pay down the mortgage, the property could be considered marital property. Since the property was disposed of during the marriage, it would be improper to consider it in equitable distribution. Further, it would also be improper to require repayment of half of all mortgage payments.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thanks for the help!