Property Distribution, etc

Dear Dsunrise:

Greetings. You ned to file a complaint for the issue of equitable distribution. That is the process. You can come to an agreement, but you need an attorney to draft it and review it. DO NOT SIGN any document without having an attorney review it with you. I agree you need to get an attorney involved.

Yes, you should have an agreement on child custody, but that can be in the separation agreement also. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I know that I have to file for distribution of property before filing for divorce. Can you tell me what that process involve? I was the one who left the house with my kids and we have been separated a year now. Also he has stated that he would like for us to come to an agreement on our own. How would this be done if I did agree to this? He is very treacherous, so I am not sure this is a wise move, so I am thinking I need to get an attorney involved regardless. Also, would we have to have papers drawn up regarding child custody? I have already gotten child support taken care of through child enforcement. Thanks for your time.