Property division

Dear Maplesm:

No, there is no “30-day” law that I know of to deal with ex-spouses coming in and out if you let them. My answer is no, you don’t have to let her back in. Tell her that you want the signed copy and that you will discuss with her what else she wants. You are under no obligation to let her back in, to give her anything else in the house which she did not bargain for specifically, or to speak with her if you have a signed separation agreement. Best of luck (and change your locks).

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My estranged wife has signed our sepreration agreement which states that property has been divided to the satisfaction of both parties. The Sep Agreement is in the mail on its way to me now. She has come to my home twice now since she moved out in JAN 03 to retrieve property. Is there a “30-day” law, and do I have to keep letting her back into the house to get MY stuff? She recently told me she wanted to come and get more items that she “forgot”.