Property Settlement Question


If you can show that you either inherited the stock from your grandmother, or she gave it as a gift only intended for you, then it will be your separate property.

Good luck!

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

6 years ago I sold some stock that my grandmother gave me to pay for closing costs on my husband and my house. I used half of the money for closing costs, and half of the money we put into mutual funds set up in a joint account with both our names on it. I know that money that was left to me (or given to me) is mine in a divorce settlement, but do I have to give my h half of the mutual funds? Thanks