Purposeful delay of settlement

Our firm does not litigate in Polk County, but if you call and ask to speak to our client relations manager she can give you some referrals.

If there is a pending action for Equitable Distribution you will need to contact the clerk in your county and ask to schedule a hearing.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My wife and I separated two and a half years ago. She filed for divorce but then everything languished with the case. I was finally granted a divorce on my own petition based on a year’s separation. We still have no settlement of the assets. My lawyer withdrew when I complained about his inaction. I have no money to pay another lawyer. My house has now burned down and I have received an offer from a contractor which leaves excellent equity after the sale.

My wife’s attorney will not respond to my attempts to contact him and I am desperate. I have no idea how to get myself in front of a judge to request a judgement on settlement. Also, for some reason, their case was left open and distribution of assets is under her petition with me as defendant.

Isn’t puposeful delay of settlement illegal?

Probably way too much information but I felt you would need background in order to offer the information I need. Could your firm represent me in Polk County if I found a way to come up with some money?