Quarantine and Custody Order

Hi there. My son’s mom is saying that she is not going to allow him to visit with me over the weekend because of the current “quarantine” going on. Can she do this? She sent an email saying I can call him after school hours but no contact during school hours. I know she is not doing any type of school work with him because he has told me he’s watching tv and doing crafts so she is putting time restrictions just to show control. Can she do this? Am I a jerk for thinking this is ridiculous? I don’t know what to do. Thanks!

If you have a custody court order, the court order continues to apply and both parties shall follow the court order. There is no quarantine or shelter in place order in effect in NC. Judges will expect that the custody order is followed. The exception to this may be if one of the parents or someone in one of the parents’ household has tested positive for COVID-19, then there would be a legitimate safety concern for the minor child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Now that there is a stay at home order starting today at 5pm, is the custody arrangement still required to be followed? Thank you!

Yes, travel for custody exchanges are permissible travel under the statewide order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.