Reasonble Alimony Payment

My husband makes $121,000 with an average of 25,000 bonuses per year and on target for 45,000 or more in bonuses.

I make 63,000/per year. I have been married for 18 years and together 24 years. I have moved 5 times for his career changes (job loss, down sizes, opportunites, etc.). I have given up jobs to ensure our family was stable.

What would be reasonable amout of Alimony?
What would be a reasonble amout of Child Support? ( He wants Joint Custody 50%)
I don’t feel he should have joint custody, because he has serial affairs, emotionally unstable. However, most likely he will .

NC does not have a formula to determine alimony unlike child support. Alimony amount and duration is based on 16 Factors.

Take a look at our Alimony Calculator to get an idea of what alimony could look like.

Child support in NC is based on a formula/worksheet. Worksheet A is used when one parent has 243 overnights a year with each child and Worksheet B is used when each parent has at least 123 overnights a year with each child. Note that child support is still paid even with a 50/50 custody schedule.

Use our Child Support Calculator to find out how much child support you might expect to receive.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Anna,

Thank you for the information. How is bonus money calculated in the equation? His bonus money varies; however, is slated for a $45,000 bonus annually. Although he wants joint custody, shouldn’t I receive a percentage of the bonus money or will it just be entered into the equation. How is it normally done?

Typically bonuses are averaged among a 12 month period. This is true for any irregular or periodic income.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.