Recalculation of child support - increase in income

How does the court recalculate child support if there has been an increase income for both parties the past 3 years? Do you average the gross income for the past 3 years and use that figure, or only use the gross income on the last tax return?

If child support is being modified, then the court will look at both parents’ current wages and income and use those figures in a new worksheet.

Gross income is not averaged and tax returns are not solely relied on (income can also be shown by paycheck stubs and deposits into bank accounts for example).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.