Refinancing Home

I divorced in June 2012, I recently attempted to refinance my home, but was told the title could not be issued due to my ex-husband owing the IRS over $10,000. The mortgage loan is in my name and he was never included on the loan. I never knew anything of the money owed and during the 4 yrs of marriage, I did not file our end of year taxes jointly. I contacted the local IRS and have been informed there is no lien against me via the IRS or Wake County. My question is how can I “unrelate” myself to what he is responsible for. I was an “innocent spouse”, and had no knowledge of this. I would love to refinance my home, but looks like I will have the same issue going forth and/or when attempting to sell my home. Is there anything I can do? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Based on the facts as presented, I think your first step should be to talk with a tax attorney. They should be able to assist you in getting your name removed from the IRS debt. You may also want to consult with a family law attorney to discuss your options for getting relief from the court if that is not possible.