Request for Production

I received a request for production of my financial information from plantiff’s attorney. They have requested that I produce this within 30 days. First question is am I required to do this at this point. (request was not filed with clerks office) Second question is if it is required how do I get an extension as it will be impossible to gather all of this in such a short time? Thanks.

Discovery does not have to be filed with the court. You can get an extension either by agreement with the opposing party or by filing a motion for an extension.