Residency of NC and divorce

Yes, you would have to be a resident of NC for 6 months before you could file for divorce hear. You would also have to be separated for 12 months before you can file for divorce in NC. You might want to check with your legal office on base to see if they can help you with your separation and divorce. But, it is unlikely the Air Force can get you divorced any sooner.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
NCdivorce.com
email: sstanback@rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I just moved here to NC from nebraska and have only ben here a little over a month now. The divorce laws in nebraska from what I know, were that you had to be seperated for 6 months before a divorce could be finalized. There were also some issues with how long you were a resident there. I lived there for 12 years therefore i dont think i would have an issue with residency. My husband was there for at least a year as far as I know. I was curious on the information dealing with residency and divorce. Since we are new here, would we have to wait till we were residents of NC to divorce here or would we still have our residency in NE and go by there divorce laws? How long does it take to become a resident here and does NC require seperation before devorce? (How long must you be seperated?) I dont know if you would know anything about this but my husband is in the air force. Does and can the airforce have anything to do with divorce? (Can the airforce make a divorce happen sooner if my husband wanted to divorce me?) Thank you for your time. (By the way, is there anyway that i could keep all my questions and comments going to the same person to answer them that way they know my story?

I’m new to this website so I’m still learning how to get around and how things work here. Thanks