Separation Agreement & Divorce Papers

My husband goes back and forth between being civil and making things nasty. He has recently had me reported as fraud and in return, his bank took the most recent child support payment. I haven’t received any support since then. We have only ever verbally agreed on child support payments when he was in one of his civil states of mind. Our two children live with me the whole year and I support them completely. He doesn’t try to see or talk to them. I have the divorce papers ready to file but my question is, can I turn in a Separation Agreement with those papers so that he has to legally pay child support?

If you have a fully executed separation agreement (both of you have signed the separation agreement and both signatures were notarized) and the agreement sets forth child support terms, then he would be in violation of the separation agreement if he has not paid what he is supposed to according to the terms and you could file a breach of contract lawsuit against him.

You can also include a request in your complaint for absolute divorce that you want the separation agreement to be incorporated into the divorce judgment. You would need to attach a copy of the separation agreement to the complaint. Incorporation transforms the separation agreement into a court order so that if either of you do not follow the terms, then you could be held in contempt of court.

You can also file a child support action against your husband, or go see your county’s child support enforcement agency. Nothing in a separation agreement can stop you from initiating a new child support action.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.