Separation for 6 months

Me and my wife have been separated since august 2016 then in February 2017 we started talking and She allowed me to come and see our kids and spend the night at 2 nights a week. At the time I was living in sc so it was a 2 hr drive for me and was doing it twice a week.Then 1 week went by and we started have sexual relations again while I spend them 2 nights there heck I’ve even bought lingerie for her several times and this has been going on for three months. Even when I’m not there she calls me and face times me every night to talk.we have even gone out on dates together and I’m still hanging out with here and our kids and this has being going on since February 2017…I’ve since moved up here to hickory to be close to my wife and kids thou we still live separated but I’m over there a lot seeing her and my kids and helping her out. Plus there is no separation agreement in place…My ? Is does this start the yr separation start over again?

Your separation period will likely need to start over if you intend to proceed to an absolute divorce. It would start over from the time that you separated with the intent to remain continuously separate and apart.

While isolated incidents of a sexual relationship will not start over the separation period, your situation seems to be more than isolated incidents. Further, representing yourself to the public as having resumed the marital relationship will also cause the separation period to start over.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.