Separation period


Dear bogiemad:

Greetings. Yes, you can move to another state during the one year separation period.

After you file for divorce, you must serve your spouse and wait thirty days for your spouse to answer. Usually it takes about 45 - 60 days from the beginning to end, but it depends on the time it takes to do service of process. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Can you move to another state during your one year separtation period. How soon after the one year period will it take then for the divorce to be granted. Thank you