Separation Process

Dear Have Faith,

If you are filing for a divorce, the only thing you need to do is provide the actual date of separation in the paperwork. You’d only need proof of that date if your spouse disagreed with the date of separation and it was less than 1 year at the time of filing.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What proof needs to be provided to prove that the 1 year separation occurred? Is this information provided in the Separation agreement or is it something that is provided when the divorce papers are filed?