Serving the complaint


Dear divorcethecon:

Greetings. Yes, you are correct on the procedure.

Your spouse could contest that you were not separated for at least one year prior to the date of filing for the divorce. Yes, your spouse may file a claim for equitable distribution to have the utility bills equally divided between you, if they were created during the marriage, but that is all I can think of. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Am I correct in that after I fill out all the forms I will need to take them to the clerk of court and pay the filing fee and THEN have him served with the complaint? If he wants to respond from prison, what possible grounds could he contest if we have no children, no joint property? There are some unpaid utility bills in his name. Can he try to get me to pay them? Thanks