Should I even bother

I think it depends. Does she now make more money than you do? If so, you may have a case for alimony because you helped pay for her current career during the marriage. Also depends on the judge and God only knows what a judge will do. It didn’t help me at all that I helped work and pay off medical school loans. Not one bit. Length of marriage is supposed to play a part as well. You do need to ask an attorney.

All debt is split 50/50(in most cases)from the time you was married until the time you officially separated(living under different with no intent to reconcile)My suggestion is write a agreement have it notorized and move on with your life.

You are still entitled to 1/2 the equity in the home since it was bought while you were together it is considered a marital asset. But FATHERDORIGHT has a point. The marital debt at the time of separation is also split. I would consult an attorney and let them take a closer look at your options. You don’t necessarily have to hire them…

If there is any equity in the house, you will be entitled to half of it. If you supported her while she worked towards a job that allowed her to make more money, you might be entitled to more than half of the marital estate.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My wife and I were married. Shortly after she quit her job and started a 2 year graduate program. We took out student loans to pay for our house (which she now lives in and pays for). Everything else was paid for by myself. This included her credit cards, as well as utilities, food, and spending money for her. Well needless to say, the day before she started her 6 figure income job we seperated (10/06) and have been to this day. I am not sure if I have any rights to anything since I was not living with her since she started receiving an income. If not I dont see any reason to even get a lawyer. Do I have a case? Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.