Son age 16 wants to change agreement


I was a child of a divorce and no matter what my parents had agreed to, I saw who I wanted when I wanted. This probably wasn’t a good idea on my part. This site says that when a child is around 10 or 12 that his/her opinion enters into the visitation agreements, but that the opinion is only a factor, not THE factor. Mom might be right, adults know more about what is good for their children than the child; and at his age, he needs guidance from both of you to keep him away from the things that can derail his life.


Dear frustr8ed:

Greetings. Yes, if you both agree, then you can do this as an agreement. If you cannot agree, then you need to file a claim for child custody. I would wait to deal with child support until after the custody matter is resolved. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have primary custody of my 16 yr old son. My ex has very generous visitation. My son wants to change the existing agreement to only see his mother on a more ‘normal’ schedule… every other weekend etc…
Is this as easy as some say? Do i need an attorney? I’m sure my ex will fight if she has a chance to stop this. I’m sure this will effect the child support as well… again, the same questions here.