Speeding up service

About 3 weeks ago I filed my divorce papers DIY. I chose to use service by the Sheriff to get the papers to my ex.

Now I find that I can’t get any information on when my ex will be served, other than “he has until November to complete service”.

Is there any way to get more info? Is there any way to speed things up? Is there an option to get another copy sent via certified mail?

Yes, you may send another copy of the summons and complaint via certified mail.

Can it be a photocopy of the one in my possession? Or do I need to create a new copy, get it notarized, and get it stamped by the clerk with the case number?

This is Wake County if it makes any difference.

A photocopy will suffice.