Spousal support?

I am pretty sure spousal support terminates as soon as the person recieving it cohabitates with somone of the opposite sex. Regardless of children.

How long were you married? How long have you been divorced? How long were you ordered to pay her ss? Is she telling you he is “just a friend?”

Depends on when the alimony was awarded (law changed on a particular date). Or on what the agreement provides if it was done by agreement. I strongly encourage you to sit down with a lawyer and get your questions answered after fully explaining your situation. Some lawyers offer a free consultation. Some lawyers, through the NC Lawyers Referral Service, offer a $30 consultation. Or, if you are in our area, come in and meet with us. You really need to get some advice that is specific to your situation.

Here is the Lawyer Referral Service website - ncbar.org/public/lrs/search.aspx

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex-wife and I are divorced, and we had no children between us. I was told, by a PI, that for cohabitation to be a reason for getting spousal support payments stopped, a child (or children) has to be involved. Is this true? I am getting very tired of supporting her, her children of a previous marriage, and her live-in ‘friend’. Thank you.