Stocks, bonds, trustee

I had bonds growing up that were both in my name and my grandfather’s name. He had ownership over them. I don’t know that I could do anything about it if he didn’t hand them over. I would think they would be a shared asset between the parties named on it. The answer should be easy to find though if you google it.

As far as the life insurance, if your son was still named you should have heard something. I suspect that he was dropped from that policy before the grandfather died.

My question to you really is why does it matter? The man signed his rights over 8 years ago. I understand you want to get what you think your son is entitled to but those ties have been severed. Do you really want to drag this up and possibly open old wounds? My daughter’s father signed over is rights as well about 10 years ago now. I honestly don’t think I would even want anything that family had to offer but I can tell you without a DOUBT my daughter definately wouldn’t.

The stock certificate belong to your son, however your ex has the right to determine how he uses it. He may have waived is right to be the trustee of that asset, but you will need to consult with an attorney who practices trust and estates law. IF there are accounts with his name in it, take a copy of your paperwork to the bank where the account is located, they should allow you to access it as your son’s sole guardian.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex and I split up 11 years ago. I just recently found out he had a LOT of stock and stuff in our son’s name. I had his rights terminated 8 years ago because he was not involved at all. I do have 1 stock certificate that has my son listed in his old name with his father as trustee. Do these belong to our son or do they belong to the father?

I was told at the bank they were my son’s but I have no idea on how to get them for my son. Also, I know there was a life insurance policy that my sons grandfather had for my son. Is there anyway to find out WHO may have written it? The grandfather was killed 6 years ago.

Thank you for ANY help in these matters…