Taxes owed - filed jointly


Dear varoom35:

Greetings. That is up to you on how you divide or share the liabilities and refunds from taxes. Generally it is all marital debt and all marital income, so you can divide it in percentage of income or equally (or however).

It sounds like your agreement already says that it will be in the percentage of income, so speak with your attorney to ensure you have the right percentage. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


hi. me and my seperated ex, have filed taxes jointly. we owe on the federal but am getting back on the state. how do we determine who owes what on the fed and who gets what on the state?

for example, say we made 100k last year combined and she made 10k of that. would she pay 10% of what we owe?

or do you apply the effective tax rate? in our case 14% to each sum??
(90k and 10k)?

we have a sep agreement that states we file jointly this year and the tax will be in proportion to our incomes for benefit or burden and as taxes paid…