Terminating alimony

I don’t think that you should just stop paying, but I beleive that since your order does not specify anything on this subject you would use the NC statute and petition the court to terminate.
Hopefully, the attorney will respond with the exact steps you need to take to do this…

hopefully the petition to the court does not require an attorney and I can do this myself and stop paying alimony

richard o’neill

If you have a court order that is silent on cohabitation you cannot simply stop paying. However, if your spouse is cohabitating, you can file a motion with the court to terminate alimony and it will likely be granted.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

my mediated divorce order is silent on cohabiation, however the nc statue on this states that alimony is terminated when my former spouse starts cohabitating. Can I stop paying alimony ? what should I do ?