Uncontested Divorce - Debt

HI. I have been separated for a tad over a year now. Haven’t started divorce papers for lack of money, really. I recently discovered my ex has maxed out two credit cards that are also under my name - one of which I didn’t even know was still open (was supposed to have been closed back in 2014). Will I be made responsible for paying some of his debt (about $15K), even though most of it was acquired after we separated?
(we never drew a separation agreement)

You will be liable for the debt in your name by the credit card company. However, in order to have the debt removed from your name since the debt is his separate debt (acquired after the date of separation), you would need to file a claim in court for equitable distribution (ED). An ED court order will distribute the marital assets and debts and could order your husband to transfer the debt in your name to his own or pay off the debt in your name if it is indeed his separate debt.

It is very important that the absolute divorce not be granted before the claim for equitable distribution is filed and pending with the court. Otherwise, if the absolute divorce is granted and there is no equitable distribution claim pending or no final equitable distribution order in place, then the courts lose jurisdiction to classify the marital and separate property and to divide the same.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.