Unreported wages


Dear sydjoe:

Greetings. Yes, you can use the evidence of deposits to ask the court to determine his income as different then what he reports. The problem is two fold:

  1. It is tax fraud. No, I have never seen the district court report anything to the IRS, but you never know.

  2. If you filed joint tax returns, then you are asking the court to believe something other than you told another government agency (the IRS). Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband is a carpenter and does not claim much of his income. The only legal proof of such income is the deposits he has made into the checking account. My paychecks are direct deposited into another bank. Will this be evidence enough to show his actual income? If so, will this then be reported to the IRS?