Veterans pension

Dear turtleslady:

Greetings. I cannot answer this without hearing all the facts of the case. Generally, depending on the length of the marriage, you are entitled to some or half of the military pension. Talk to an attorney to get your share. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Just to give you more info…we are still married because honestly I haven’t been able to afford getting the divorce. He told me that if the divorce was to take place, I would have to pay for everything. Now that he knows I have been seriously seeking help in getting the divorce he has taken out a no-contact order on me (that’s another topic…i know).
Anyway…to the how long etc., etc…we were married 7 yrs before I left and now that 2 yrs have almost passed and we are still legally married, it has been 9 yrs now. He obtained his pension while we were together, engaged, and then we were later married. The pension actually has nothing to do with his service time…want more info…just hollar…

turtleslady

Dear turtleslady:

Greetings. It is still unclear how much, if any, of the pension you are entitled to. Regardless of the information you give here, it sounds like you need to at least speak with an attorney. You may also be entitled to alimony, and not seeking it can mean that you are forfeiting your rights to the same.

If he filed a Domestic Violence action against you, you may be able to obtain help from legal aid. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have a question about my ex’s veterans pension. He draws a check from the veteran’s administration each month which they classify as a “non-service-connected disability pension”. After we had separated his check was cut by the veteran’s administration because I was no longer living with him even though we were and still are legally married. I have been told by several people that I was entitled to draw the portion of his pension that the VA cut from his check until I marry again, if I should ever marry again (I’m figuring in the same way as alimony is paid). Is this true and if so how can I or should I go about getting this paid to me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

turtleslady