What are my legal rights?


Dear mikeb:

Greetings. Yes, you can change the locks. Yes, her actions qualify as abandonment. Please read through our site and let me know if you have other specific legal questions. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My wife left our home with our son about 10 days ago. She wants a seperation and a divorce. She says she won’t live in the house as long as I live there. I am a dependent spouse and choose to stay in the house. Can I change the locks? Does this qualify as abandonment? Thank you for your time.

Steven Barbato