Why do my divorce documents have to be given to his other ex wife in NC

My husband has an ex wife in NC with children. He and I live in another state and are going through a divorce and have children. Why does our separation agreement have to be given to her? He pays her child support and states by law he has to give her my agreement. Our agreement between he and I contains my personal debt, my address, what monetary awards to my kids we agreed on as well as other personal details I feel she has no right to. It also contains his schedule for visitation with my children which I don’t want her to have because according to him, she won’t stop with the interference and harassment until she hurts me or my two children. He already gave her all of our SSN’S on tax returns and she has proven in the past to use his name and her address on bills so I fear she will use our SSN’s. Can you please tell me what information she is entitled to by law? Does she get the full separation agreement detailing everything? One of the problems I had was he would tell her or his son to tell her everything we did and somehow CPS was called in, my family has been falsely accused regarding things said. . It just won’t stop and he does nothing about it. All I want is away from their drama and to protect my two children. I am currently being bullied into adding things into our agreement to help him win in NC. Things that don’t need to be in it or he won’t pay me the child support I am supposed to be getting vs. What I am getting. Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

It’s possible that if your husband and his ex-wife have a child support modification case pending in NC, then they would need to see the separation agreement to know how much child support your husband is obligated to pay you (if these terms are included in your separation agreement). This information must be included when calculating child support. Otherwise, your separation agreement details would be of no concern to his ex-wife living in NC.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.