Wife wont sign

After she is served the complaint, she has 30 days to contest in writing to you or your attorney, if you have one. After the 30 days are up, you go to the clerk of court and ask for a calendar date and you will send her notification of hearing, which has the date and time for the hearing. She does not have to sign anything. She does not even have to show up to the hearing. The judge will sign the judgment for absolute divorce at the hearing.

Word of advice, make sure it says absolute divorce and not divorce from bed & board(we learned this the hard way).  We paid an attorney, he filed for divorce from B&B and was disbarred before we realized the mistake.  We were out all the money we paid him and got nothing but a mess.

Dear salide:

Greetings. Yes, the divorce can proceed without your spouse’s signature. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

what will happen if wife refuses to sign divorce papers? will the divorce go through anyway?