15 yr old Wishes to Change Parental Residence


Dear fefe:

Greetings. In North Carolina there is not an age when a child can determine their own living arrangements … as they are subject to the jurisdiction of the court until they are 18 or emancipated.

If the minor child seriously wants to reside with one parent, that parent should try to negotiate this with the other. If negotiations fail, then a motion to modify custody based on changed circumstances may work best. Best of Luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


What steps need to be taken for a 15 year old child to live with the other parent? At what age is this the minor childs decision? How will this affect child support? Child wants to live with mother because of constant conflict with step brother, and emotional distress. Any help greatly appreciated.