Moving with my child to another state


Dear ncguyinnc:

Greetings. First, when children are in their teens, they are still children and although their opinion may have some weight with the court, they do not get to decide where they will live. Next, no, you were informed incorrectly. Yes, you can file a claim for child custody and contest where the children will be moved to. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My x-wife plans to move to another state. Chances are that my younger child (who will be 15 by then) will decide to move with her, although I am opposed to this. I am currently paying the child support for both of my children (the other one will be 18 by the time of her moving) and an alimony. I was told that the law stipulates that I no longer will be obliged to continue paying the child support and alimony, if my child indeed moves with my x - against my will. Is that true? Do I have any say where will my child reside? She has the custody. Thanks. Guy