Modification/future issues/out-of-state

It is not clear from your post, but I believe you are asking where you would file litigation regarding custody. If your children have lived in Florida for the last six months and you have never litigated the issue of custody before, then you would need to pursue custody in Florida.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am really in a pickle. My ex filed for devorce after I moved to NC. We weren’t seperated or nothing. The plan was she would move up after the house sold. Several months later she served me papers. She lives in FL and I hadn’t a problem with it untill now. Her Job is at stake and she made a comment a while back that if she lost her job she would have to move in with her parents who live in TX. That, to me is unacceptable. Too far for me to drive to visit on a weekend or whatever. I need to know which state I need to get a laywer for. I am thinking it has to be Fl, but since I live in NC it might be hard to work with one. Also I was wondering to take care of this now or before it happens? And I also need to know my rights here. Any help would be great.