Ex Moving out of State

File for a modification in custody to hold the child/ren within the state of NC. Or file for full out custody.

You may want to file a motion to modify custody and ask the court to make a change to the custody schedule, or ask them to make different travel arrangements, order her not to move the children further away, or order her to assist you with the costs.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex has informed me that since she has earned a more advanced degree, she may be moving out of state, or at least far enough that it would cut into my court ordered visitation. As it stands already, I have to make a 6 hour round trip every other Friday to pick them up and then two days later on every other Sunday to take them back. KI get no consideration at all in terms of gas money as it is either. Now she says she may have to move even farther away. What can I do to make sure I still get to see my kids? She does not drive and there is no way for her to meet me at some halfway point. What are my options?