Relocating Child

She can relocate, but you can use the assistance of the court to try and stop her from doing so with your child.

If you have a court order you can file a motion to modify custody if she attempts to move out of state. If you have a custody agreement and she intends to move out of state you can file a lawsuit for custody and ask the court to order her to remain here, or grant you custody if she intends to move. If she is moving without a good reason the court may order her to bear more of the transportation expenses. If she is moving without a good reason, the court would not look very favorably on that.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Can the ex relocate to another state with the child if we have joint custody and visitation is established.this will mean she will quit her current employment and needs to seek new employment, who will be reponsible for transporting my child for visiting if she relocates.