Wife out of country

Uhm…there was something about this type of thing previously. Unless otherwise stated you should have retained joint legal custody of the child. Which means that you can refuse to allow her to get a passport…this may hold up long enough to get custody modified.

You can file a lawsuit and ask the court for an order preventing her from leaving the state until the court can make a custody determination.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My ex wife is moving out of the country to go live with her boyfriend in Germany. She has moved to other states four times since my child was born (child is 11). She is primary custody right now. Is there any way for me to stop her from moving out of the country with my child?