Child Support & Custody

If you believe she would move out of the state against your wishes your only option may be to file a lawsuit and ask the court for an order requiring that the child remain in the state.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My girlfriend & I have a 3 year old daughter & been living together for almost 4 years. I’ve been helping her get through college for the past two and a half years by paying all living expenses(Rent, utilities, car insurance & food). She pays for the cable bill and half of daycare which is only about 20% of what I spend on our living expenses. I also spend the majority of the time with our daughter because of my girlfriend’s schooling. We’ve recently decided to split up and she has let me know that she wants to move to Mississippi to live with her sister and brother-in-law. I have no problem with joint custody of my daughter but I don’t want her taken away from me. My daughter has a great life here and a great family(my immediate family lives here). My girlfriend doesn’t make much money right now because she is a student. I would hope that the courts would look at who has been providing for my daughter and who is more capable of providing in the future.

I’m worried that, because of my gender I will get screwed on custody of my daughter. My question is, is how do I keep her from taking her out of state?

I don’t want to take my daughter away from her mom, because she is a good mom. I just don’t want my daughter taken from me because I am a hell of a dad.