Dear Jess,

If your son’s father consents to the adoption it is a fairly simple process. Given that he has shown no interest in your son’s life the court may terminate his rights if you move to do so. I am assuming that you were never married to your son’s father and in that case his rights can be terminted for the following reasons:

Help! My 16 month old sons father has not been in my sons life since the day he was born. He has never seen him, paid any child support, or contacted me in regards to him. I was married in Oct to wonderful man that wants to adopt him. I want to know if I can get his rights from him on grounds of abandoment but I get so many different answers to what the laws are. Could some one plase tell me what the true law of abandonment is?

Thanks Jess