Abandonment and rights towards child

The grandmother can try to get custody, but it would be very unlikely. Keep custody of your daughter, don’t give her up. If your fiancee is a good step mom then don’t worry about what the grandmother says. If your fiancee is mean to your daughter think about giving up the fiancee not the daughter!

First sorry for this but this is called dead beat parent get the CS form your ex now if it was the other way what would she do? This may sound mean but its not this it is life and the law if she is required by law to pay CS then get it.
Your daughter is going though a change look at the signs it is very important that you and your fiancee need to see all these signs but mostly you as her dad dadies girl. How does your daughter feel about your fiancee? This may be it get your daughter involved with this talk to her she is only 7 I hope I am right about the age but anyway she is part of both your lives and you cannot leave her out this what it looks like she needs attention she is being left out have her in this new family. Dont treat her like “heres the KID” but “here is our daughter” I hope you do this now but sometimes it is over looked trust me it happens.
Get involved DAD to over look is very easy I have but I have seen and learned that. When they (kids) see that you are there for them then they are there for you I have a great time and great communication and most of all TRUST very important and one more respect.
All this is for a great and new family let her in and be part of this new family [:)] this will only get better with communication love respect and so much more.
As far as the lies stop this now will only get worse in the long run she must trust not just you but your soon to be new wife. I do not beleive your soon to be wife is all that (MEAN) to your daughter and you and your fiancee just are lacking all the above if you get what I mean LOL. Long but I hope you can see what I am saying this is great that you can start over I cannot wait for me to do the same as you and in time I will.
Hope the best for your daughter,fiancee and mostly you
Good luck

Dear d29:

Greetings. First, yes, she could try to sue you for custody, but she would not likely win and it would be costsly. Next, no, your ex cannot give her mother any rights to your child as long as you are around. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you all for your informative replies my only other thing is she also threatened me over the phone that she would call my job cause problems,call my daughters school and cause problems and also call CPS and make false accusations if I didnt turn my daughter over to her ,should I call CPS myself and make them aware of this or file a police complaint. She also threatened to physically assault my wife (we got married at the jop today lol). Honestly I am just at a lost I feel cornered??

Dear d29:

Greetings. Start to record your calls. Yes, tell the police about her threats. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My exwife left me and my 2 year old daughter at the time back in 2001. She stopped paying child support in 2003 and stopped contacting my daughter by phone in 2005. She hasnt physically seen my daughter since the day she left. I am currently engaged and getting married and my fiancee has been raising my daughter along with me for the past 2 years. The other day me and my fiancee got into an argument and I left and took my daughter ,dropped her off at her grandmothers house and I went to a friends house. Well anyway my daughter was basically questioned by her grandmother (which is my ex’s mother)and told her that my fiancee is mean to her and hurts her feelings. When I questioned my daughter she pretty much said she made up this stuff to get attention but thats shes happy living at home, for the record the stuff she said my fiancee was mean about is stuff like making her do her homework when her favorite show is on and something that was petty but nothing to be considered abuse. I was intending on letting my daughter live with her grandmother if I found out the remarks my daughter made were true, but since my child has made it clear that she does not want to live with her grandmother and wants to be with me can her grandmother legally sue me for custody or get permission from her daughter to take our daughter. My daughters mother already has nothing to do with her and I dont want my daughter to think I dont want her. I know this is long but can someone help me please???