Absolute divorce after 60 days - help!

You simply need to add the requested language to the divorce judgment, it won’t delay anything. It is necessary to allow the QDRO to be entered in the future.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband’s attorney mailed a copy of his answer to my complaint indicating a request that I amend my proposed Divorce Judgment to provide that: “The Court retains jurisdiction of this action and this action remains open pending the entry of a Qualified Domestic Relations Order providing for the transfer of funds from Defendant to Plaintiff as provided by the parties’ amended Separation and Property Settlement Agreement.”, that such an amended judgment would be acceptable, if I will make that change and provide my husband’s attorney with an advance copy.

My questions are - 1. It has been 60 plus days (i.e. 30 days initial file plus 30 days extension of time to respond). Do I have to do the aforementioned? My husband’s attorney has been working on the QDRO transfer for months with no end in site. 2. Can I proceed with a new court date for my absolute divorce, as I do not wish to continue to wait?

Please advise and Thank You.