URGENT! Attorneys please respond!

You should be aware that even though you have moved to extend time, they can move forward with the divorce after thirty days. If your husband is willing to make concessions to you they would need to be in a written notarized agreement or a court order in order for them to be binding.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


After being informed from my STB-Ex in March of this year that he filed for an absolute divorce and I finally received the paperwork on May 14th, I receive an email from him stating that he can no longer afford to pay the allotment money that is due to me, but that he would help out any other way that he could. According to military regulation, he is supposed to provide support until the divorce is finalized. At the same time, the STB-Ex informed me that he is due to get remarried next month, but not divulging the date of the marriage and that he and the his future wife are expecting a child in September.

Well, since I was expecting the allotment and he yet again screwed me out of it, I filed a 30 day extension of time to respond to his divorce complaint with the deadline expiration date occuring AFTER he is set to get married again.

I received an email from the STB-Ex and his attorney asking me what they could do to ACCOMODATE the situation and get me to respond to the divorce complaint sooner. My question is if I have the ‘accomodations’ put down in writing and have the STB-Ex sign such agreement, would the agreement be legally binding? Just to get the rest of the details out there, we’ve already gone through ED and the judgement order has been filed and signed by the judge.