Adultery in Divorce Law in NC

Just to update my question a little.

I have since been corrected that NC is a no fault divorce state. However, I was wondering if there are any defences to adultery in NC, such as lenocinium or condonation ?

Dear Miss Amy:

Greetings. Condonation is a defense to adultery. Adultery is only relevant in financial issues though, and not the actual divorce. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hello there, I am a law student at the University of Strathclyde in the UK.

As part of my Family Law module I am currently researching divorce law in North Carolina. I am particularly concerned with adultery not being a ground for immediate divorce.

In my research so far I have come across the tool of a “no fault” divorce in many states in America, with NC being one of the few exceptions.

I was wondering if you would be able to direct me to any government debates that may have taken place regarding possible implementation of this legislation so perhaps I could focus on why it hasn’t been adopted in NC, or even more general material/information on the history of divorce law in North Carolina.

Many thanks in advance; any help is very much appreciated.

Yours
Amy Walsh