Advice to hire attorney or not

Dear waterski:

Greetings. Let me first say that although you may be a great negotiator, you are still not an attorney. Not to be funny, but attornys have to take at least one year of contract law…which means that drafting is second nature to us and we know what clauses mean that may sound completely harmless. Be careful about this.

1. Yes, if he has no ties to North Carolina, then you may not be able to file against him.

2. Did you look at the list of attorney referrals in different counties on our main page? There is a link there for those referrals. Please let me know if you cannot find it. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks Janet,

I really don’t want to make this ugly. I am hoping it can be resolved shortly. Suggestion between Gatto vs Morrow in Forsyth?

Pat

Dear waterski:

An attorney SHOULD NOT make things more ugly. If they do, they may have their own agenda.

I don’t personally know either, but if they are on our website, someone here knows them and likes their work. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks Janet,

Sorry, did not mean to make it sound that way, however, it is sad, but true. The only mention of an attorney turns it into instant confrontation. They are looking out for their client best interest. Automatically, is gets you in a position of confrontation then ugly…

Thanks for the input.

Take Care,
Pat

Dear waterski:

Greetings. I think that many of my clients would disagree with you, but I understand what you mean. I hope that you can do it alone, or that you find a suitable attorney for your needs. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

This may sound a little crazy… but bare with me

My ex and I are very close to getting this over with. She left me over a year ago for another guy. She says it was “just an emotional connection”. It was the second time in 2 years she has done this. 2 different guys. Last year, Neither of us wanted to get lawyers involved due to the horror stories of messy divorces and the only winner being the attorney’s. I only wanted for her to be happy and both of us move on with our lives. We did go to a mediator and he drew up a Sep agreement for us that we had attorney in Greensboro finalize and notarize for us last September. Currently we are both in compliance per the agreement. I filed for Divorce after the 1 year had expired in June, 2005. She put a one month extention on it, which expires 8-8.

She has been listening to “friends” of hers and hired an attorney. I am currently negotiating with her attorney for a few items that her and I verbally, and via e-mail, were under agreement. Joint custody & splitting day care cost specifically.

I have been thinking that the only way I will hire someone is if I have to go to court. I am not the dullest tool in the shed, and feel pretty confident in my negotiating skills. After all, I have the agreement we signed and are in compliance with it. Besides it was her that ended the marriage. I am a good father to our one son, and have many of our friends ready to sign a statement that I should retain Joint custody, if not get primary. Even his God parents.

I only want to continue what we agreed to in our agreement, nothing more or less.

If I need to hire someone & pay that addtional money. I was thinking to go ahead a file for Alienation for Affection. Her latest “emotional connection” lives in FL.

1. Is there any limitation for going after him since he is in FL?
  2. Can you suggest an attorney that would Support upholding the Sep agreement and file for “A of A” in Forsyth County?

Thanks,
Pat