Advice urgently needed regarded separation

quote:
[i]Originally posted by haji1000[/i] [br]I have been married ten years and we have two small children. My wife and I agreed that a trial separation was necessary during which time we would meet weekly to discuss our relationship and see if things could be worked out. Since she is the primary caregiver we decided that I would move out of the house and come back several times per week to see the kids. My friends have cautioned me that if the seperation becomes permanent followed by a divorce that I am putting myself in legal risk with regard to custody and asset distribution. They say that the judge would view my having moved out as abandonment and thus jeopardize my rights in divorce proceedings. I did not want the separation in the first place, nor do I want a divorce. I feel like asking my wife to hit the high road since she is the one pushing for the separation however I am also trying to work things out with her and that would only exacerbate the situation. Given this plus her role as chief caregiver I decided that logistically I should go if someone had to go, and thus I have just moved out.

This must be a common question. Is this true and what should I do in this case? Thanks.

drshirk

I dont have any help because I am wondering the same thing. i am exacly in the same place as you are. So i will look for so feedback sorry.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by dshirk[/i] [br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by haji1000[/i] [br]I have been married ten years and we have two small children. My wife and I agreed that a trial separation was necessary during which time we would meet weekly to discuss our relationship and see if things could be worked out. Since she is the primary caregiver we decided that I would move out of the house and come back several times per week to see the kids. My friends have cautioned me that if the seperation becomes permanent followed by a divorce that I am putting myself in legal risk with regard to custody and asset distribution. They say that the judge would view my having moved out as abandonment and thus jeopardize my rights in divorce proceedings. I did not want the separation in the first place, nor do I want a divorce. I feel like asking my wife to hit the high road since she is the one pushing for the separation however I am also trying to work things out with her and that would only exacerbate the situation. Given this plus her role as chief caregiver I decided that logistically I should go if someone had to go, and thus I have just moved out.

This must be a common question. Is this true and what should I do in this case? Thanks.

drshirk

drshirk

I have been married ten years and we have two small children. My wife and I agreed that a trial separation was necessary during which time we would meet weekly to discuss our relationship and see if things could be worked out. Since she is the primary caregiver we decided that I would move out of the house and come back several times per week to see the kids. My friends have cautioned me that if the seperation becomes permanent followed by a divorce that I am putting myself in legal risk with regard to custody and asset distribution. They say that the judge would view my having moved out as abandonment and thus jeopardize my rights in divorce proceedings. I did not want the separation in the first place, nor do I want a divorce. I feel like asking my wife to hit the high road since she is the one pushing for the separation however I am also trying to work things out with her and that would only exacerbate the situation. Given this plus her role as chief caregiver I decided that logistically I should go if someone had to go, and thus I have just moved out.